Apple Care is a joke

Forum for hijacking, general discussion, chatting and off-topic posting
michael
Site Supporter

Re: Apple Care is a joke

Post by michael » 18 Aug 2009, 18:03

upriver wrote: My home and contents insurance was recently updated though, any damage whether mine or Apple's is covered no questions asked. Much better peace of mind to me than Applecare.
That's the way to go for sure! I got a phone call from the local store and another appointment, but of course the diagnosis was the same. It must have been accidental damage etc. I'm getting a replacement LCD third party installed etc. and it's costing $280, $70 less than Apple Care. I stand by my assertion about Apple Care, the only component in the laptop that would cost more than $350 that you can't get the same part for cheaper than Apple sells it is the mother board. I really think that it's almost sad how much people will pay for what amounts to a mediocre deal. <-- $350 for less than 1/2 off a new mother board after the second year of use. The chance that a 2 year old mother board goes down to less than that is pretty good IMO. <--- just found my model on ebay for $460, $25 to instal. So by buying Apple Care you save a whopping $135, if indeed the motherboard needs replacing.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

buddhabelly

Post by buddhabelly » 18 Aug 2009, 22:46

Not exactly true. Minus accidental damage, you can get any laptop repaired by Apple for a flat-rate <$400. No matter how many parts involved. This also puts the whole unit under a new 90 day warranty. Then there are different Tier levels for accidental damage. There is no flat-rate option for desktop machines however, they are on a part by part basis, which can get expensive, especially for the G5 towers. Also, in my experience, boards that actually come with a warranty get more expensive the older they get because they're harder to find. Anything you find on ebay is a used part. Almost guaranteed.

I stand by my assertion that Applecare is worth the money. Applecare paid for itself on each of my first 2 machines. Two repairs each over the course of their extended warranties. Lately I've been going through about a computer a year until I got my latest MBP which is shaping up to be my last for awhile, so will be happily getting Applecare. Applecare is an extended warranty, so I have my home owner's insurance, which also has a rider for traveling, I'm covered. :wink:
Disclaimer: I know kung fu.

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 19 Aug 2009, 00:22

buddhabelly wrote:Not exactly true. Minus accidental damage, you can get any laptop repaired by Apple for a flat-rate <$400. No matter how many parts involved. This also puts the whole unit under a new 90 day warranty. Then there are different Tier levels for accidental damage. There is no flat-rate option for desktop machines however, they are on a part by part basis, which can get expensive, especially for the G5 towers. Also, in my experience, boards that actually come with a warranty get more expensive the older they get because they're harder to find. Anything you find on ebay is a used part. Almost guaranteed.

I stand by my assertion that Applecare is worth the money. Applecare paid for itself on each of my first 2 machines. Two repairs each over the course of their extended warranties. Lately I've been going through about a computer a year until I got my latest MBP which is shaping up to be my last for awhile, so will be happily getting Applecare. Applecare is an extended warranty, so I have my home owner's insurance, which also has a rider for traveling, I'm covered. :wink:
Why bother with Apple Care at all if you're also insuring it with your homeowners insurance???
Just out of curiosity, do you work for (or have worked for) Apple?
Not trying to argue here, but all apple covers is warranty work with Apple care, if a laptop has more than three things wrong with it, that are Apples hardware failing after the first year, then I can see paying for an extended warranty. Otherwise it's a waste of money, like I said, the only part that goes wrong internally that costs over $350 is the motherboard, and a simple ebay search found a supplier that would do it for <$500.
Hard drives, RAM, Optical drives etc. all that is under $350. You're paying in advance for services that aren't even $350 if you have even a slight ability to work with tools. It's a joke, unless you just never want to bother cracking your computer open, then by all means, but rationally, I'm sure you could find an insurance company that would cover even accidental damage.

The best bet ATM IMO is to buy your computer from Best Buy and get their coverage, which would cover things like this freaky BS screen damage I have.

Apple have crappy coverage, the magnetic power cords that failed in the first year due to getting too hot? I had that as well, Apple called that accidental damage as well, and like I said earlier in this thread I couldn't replace it, because they were mysteriously redesigning the things! :x :x :x Just to really hit home with this, they put crappy paint on the plastic around the 550- 667mhz model powerbooks, and refused over 90% of the people who complained about it. I got lucky that time, but just the fact that people were stuck in the same boat, with flaky paint jobs in the first year, was simply lame. It's just like any other warranty from any other manufacturer, except more expensive. They choose what they consider to be covered, and if you're one of the unlucky ones to be in the first rounds of failure for a bad manufacturing process, they very possibly may never admit fault, and will simply revise the hardware.
I really don't consider that worth the money. Love the OS, hate the foo foo yuppie stores and boutique mystique they've built, along with the sub par extended warranty called Apple Care.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

buddhabelly

Post by buddhabelly » 19 Aug 2009, 09:58

Because I don't want to pay the deductible and the increased premium associated with an insurance claim for something that would be covered by an extended warranty.

As far as Best Buy, I've seen them mangle a few computers and tell the customer they are out of luck. They don't even know how to service or open up a Mac, as they are not an Apple authorized repair center, last I checked.

Yes I work at a service shop. Gives me a unique perspective on how Applecare works when you see as many machines as I do. In the end, it doesn't matter to me if you get Applecare or not because I get paid to fix the computer either way.

As far as the power brick goes, there were some early on that may have been denied coverage, but have since been covered.

I feel you're frustration in your case. But there are people that think that Applecare is worth it. IMHO it is worth, but as always, it's your money. ;)

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 19 Dec 2009, 00:35

buddhabelly wrote:I feel you're frustration in your case. But there are people that think that Applecare is worth it. IMHO it is worth, but as always, it's your money. ;)
OK so this has gotten weirder. The graphics/video went south on the logic board. Apple Care will cover that, so the laptop is in the shop, the whole logic board gets replaced. I haven't had the money to fix the screen, so it's still got an even larger black spider LED damage on the screen.
So in the sense that I'm not having to just get a new laptop Apple Care is working, but in the sense that the only things to go wrong with my laptop have been the LCD and the video card, I'm I think still right in asserting that a blanket policy of not covering cracked LCDs is crap. It's not any stretch at all to see that in my case it's kind of whacky that it's all graphic damage.

I've found some shop locally that does the smartest non Apple branded third party LCD screen fix; he opens the laptop up and gets the exact part number, buys from the manufacturer and charges peanuts. So that's cool, but it's still sort of frustrating that I'm seeing a chain of problems on the graphics in this machine, yet a policy is a policy is a policy. :scratch:
DP7, Live 8 Suite

kanker
Owner/Admin

Post by kanker » 21 Dec 2009, 19:46

I got a new MBP this summer. Basically can't get Applecare for it. I dropped it within a week of buying it and it bent the frame. The thing still works perfectly, but pretty much anything that goes wrong will be blamed on the drop...
2.66 Ghz MBP, 10.6.2, Logic Studio, u-he stuff, Komplete 5
web space
myspace
I'm a recovering reverb addict. I've been dry 7 years

buddhabelly

Post by buddhabelly » 21 Dec 2009, 21:23

IIRC, you had a 2.2/2.4 ghz MBP? If so, there is a common failure of the NVIDIA chip on the logic board that is being covered regardless of Applecare status within 3 years of the date of purchase, so long as as it is demonstrable that the physical damage isn't also to blame. You must be getting it repaired at a 3rd party authorized Apple service center because if it went anywhere near the Apple store or Apple repair depot, they would probably not cover the repair at all as they refuse to do partial repairs, hence you would have to pay for the screen, but the logic board would likely be covered. Not much consolation as with Apple's tiered repairs a cracked screen is Tier 4.

Yes, there are 3rd party (and may even be Apple parts) gray market parts out there, but it will not reinstate your warranty. Even if it was an Apple part, it didn't come from Apple as it is against any service center's repair contract to sell parts.
michael wrote:
buddhabelly wrote:I feel you're frustration in your case. But there are people that think that Applecare is worth it. IMHO it is worth, but as always, it's your money. ;)
OK so this has gotten weirder. The graphics/video went south on the logic board. Apple Care will cover that, so the laptop is in the shop, the whole logic board gets replaced. I haven't had the money to fix the screen, so it's still got an even larger black spider LED damage on the screen.
So in the sense that I'm not having to just get a new laptop Apple Care is working, but in the sense that the only things to go wrong with my laptop have been the LCD and the video card, I'm I think still right in asserting that a blanket policy of not covering cracked LCDs is crap. It's not any stretch at all to see that in my case it's kind of whacky that it's all graphic damage.

I've found some shop locally that does the smartest non Apple branded third party LCD screen fix; he opens the laptop up and gets the exact part number, buys from the manufacturer and charges peanuts. So that's cool, but it's still sort of frustrating that I'm seeing a chain of problems on the graphics in this machine, yet a policy is a policy is a policy. :scratch:

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 21 Dec 2009, 22:12

buddhabelly wrote:IIRC, you had a 2.2/2.4 ghz MBP? If so, there is a common failure of the NVIDIA chip on the logic board that is being covered regardless of Applecare status within 3 years of the date of purchase, so long as as it is demonstrable that the physical damage isn't also to blame. You must be getting it repaired at a 3rd party authorized Apple service center because if it went anywhere near the Apple store or Apple repair depot, they would probably not cover the repair at all as they refuse to do partial repairs, hence you would have to pay for the screen, but the logic board would likely be covered. Not much consolation as with Apple's tiered repairs a cracked screen is Tier 4.

Well I called Apple Care 1-800 line first, explained everything, including that the screen was cracked and got a case # and the go ahead to take it anywhere, with the realization I didn't want the screen fixed. Guy was real cool on the phone impressed that before I called I went through all the steps to recover data and see what the problem was: zapping P-RAM, holding power button down with battery out etc. I took it to the Mac Store instead of the Apple store for two reasons, Apple store only ships once a week, and Mac store orders parts as they need them, also rightly so, I didn't want to have to explain to the "genius" that my case was already taken care of by an Apple rep. etc.
Yes, there are 3rd party (and may even be Apple parts) gray market parts out there, but it will not reinstate your warranty. Even if it was an Apple part, it didn't come from Apple as it is against any service center's repair contract to sell parts.
Nothing gray market about it, Apple buys the screens from the manufacturers, they don't make them themselves, a mac repair guy that know his stuff can open up the machine and get the exact model #, then buy directly from Sony or whomever made the LCD in the laptop at hand. What this means is Apple will not cover anything related to the LCD, and anything that a faulty "third party" LCD might damage. It's all good, but I'll be dammed if I'm paying Apple $1200 for a part that costs +/-$150, $250 including installation. For $1200, I could get a faster macbook pro off craigslist right now!

In the end though I'll end up paying +/- $200 for basically a new machine. I'm OK with that. 8)
Last edited by michael on 21 Dec 2009, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 21 Dec 2009, 22:16

kanker wrote:I got a new MBP this summer. Basically can't get Applecare for it. I dropped it within a week of buying it and it bent the frame. The thing still works perfectly, but pretty much anything that goes wrong will be blamed on the drop...
Not everything, LCDs they definitely will not cover, but yeah, it's a PITA. still one day hoping Apple put out something to compete with the Panasonic Toughbook, or accident insurance. In the mean time, I'm getting one of those third party cases for mine once the dust settles.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Post by ottoman42a » 22 Dec 2009, 01:50

I’m just frustrated that I forgot to buy it for one of my macs and now I can’t even though nothing is wrong with it. Its like they don’t want my money after the first year.
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

johnnytucats

Post by johnnytucats » 24 Dec 2009, 06:01

If a specific problem on a computer is in any way common there would most certainly be some mention of it on the net.

Anyway, I think Ralph Nader said something to the effect of advising not to buy insurance but to put the money into the insurance company stock and you'll come out way ahead in the end.

BTW, AppleCare is not just about repairs, it extends phone support from one month to a year.