People who "jinx" gear . . .

Forum for hijacking, general discussion, chatting and off-topic posting
dubmon

People who "jinx" gear . . .

Post by dubmon » 05 Oct 2009, 20:56

OK, we all know somebody--perhaps ourselves on occasion---who seem to have the ability to make computers crash, software freak out, amps blow up, etc. just by walking into the studio and hanging out for a while. It's usually, ultimately chalked up to something else, but . . . I have this client, who comes over to my project studio, and I track him, mix, produce, play all the instruments, etc.---he rarely touches anything, except maybe a midi keyboard once in a while, otherwise he's just singing. But, his presence regularly and quite dependably wreaks havoc in my studio! I can literally count on spending an hour or more after he's gone hunting down weird midi issues, freaked-out preferences, hard drive privileges run amok, even hardware that's freaked out. I swear, it is like clockwork. And call me superstitious, but at the rate he's paying me, I can't afford to work for him any more!
Is there a term for this condition?

edit: I should add, that I have even gone to the trouble of completely re-building some of his projects from scratch and, he comes in and s^&t starts breaking all over again---it's bizarre!
Logic 9.1, OS 10.6.2, 3.06 ghz MacBook Pro 17", 8GB RAM

Kubi
Site Supporter

Re: People who "jinx" gear . . .

Post by Kubi » 05 Oct 2009, 21:10

It's known as the "Doctor Alan Grant Syndrome".

Or at least it *should* be.
:)
Kubi

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Post by G » 06 Oct 2009, 08:53

You have to admit, this is very interesting in a Ghost Hunters kind of way. I wonder how much one of those EMF detectors costs?

Nice Jurassic Park reference, btw.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

dubmon

Post by dubmon » 06 Oct 2009, 13:02

Ditto on the J-Park ref:)

yeah, it's weird. I'm not really the superstitious type, but there is something up with this guy. I mean, I can re-create the phenomenon. All I have to do is invite into the studio for a couple hours. Crazy.
Logic 9.1, OS 10.6.2, 3.06 ghz MacBook Pro 17", 8GB RAM

eireman

Post by eireman » 30 Mar 2010, 15:00

I am suffering serious jinxage since moving to mac last sept, deleted 5k tracks from I tunes after sorting all id3 tags!! have messed up every attempt I have made at tidying up any of the tracks I had managed to get back since, re-addedbthe 1.5k tracks on itunes 2 days ago and after rating the best with 5 stars itunes has now decided to give me the colour wheel of death every time I start it up, I would like to now call up all my 5 stars and drag a copy of them all to a folder on my destop but cannot get iTunes to start up now!!

feeling very dismayed over itunes now and would gladly start using another free media player to handle my mp3s, aiffs, wavs etc etc but don't know where to look.

considering windows again over the whole thing.

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Post by G » 30 Mar 2010, 15:07

eireman wrote:I am suffering serious jinxage since moving to mac last sept, deleted 5k tracks from I tunes after sorting all id3 tags!! have messed up every attempt I have made at tidying up any of the tracks I had managed to get back since, re-addedbthe 1.5k tracks on itunes 2 days ago and after rating the best with 5 stars itunes has now decided to give me the colour wheel of death every time I start it up, I would like to now call up all my 5 stars and drag a copy of them all to a folder on my destop but cannot get iTunes to start up now!!

feeling very dismayed over itunes now and would gladly start using another free media player to handle my mp3s, aiffs, wavs etc etc but don't know where to look.

considering windows again over the whole thing.
Hi eireman, and welcome to the forum!

I read your other post mentioning this and can't honestly figure out how you managed to delete your entire library. iTunes gives at least two warnings when doing this, and even then, the worst it will do is move those song files to the Trash where you can still pull them out. If you didn't buy your iMac new, you might want to do a fresh format of the HD and re-install the OS to make sure things are clean and proper. iTunes works great as a cataloging tool here. Happy to help where we can.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

eireman

Post by eireman » 31 Mar 2010, 07:05

hi G,

thanks for your reply, best I can work out is that as I was sending tracks to the trash I didn't realise that one of the folders contained all my music files (was a complete noob to mac b4 last sept so don't ask) so when I hit empty trash it went and wiped them all. needless to say when I seen the process happening I went to cancel it but it happened so quick I froze, broke out in a sweat afterwards and have failed miserably tryin to recover since.

I sent an email last night to the store I bought the machine in and they are upgrading the machine to snow leopard for me. I have asked them to tak it in and do it instore and to run a diagnostics on it for me to put my mind at ease that there is nothing wrong with hardware/drivers etc. told them i'll be purchasing 2 mini macs in April off them or apple online so I'm expecting a good spot of customer service from them now to win the order from me.

watch this space

on a further note, I tunes still giving me the wheel of death!! have to practice for our next set tonight and the fact I can't use iTunes right now is really messing with my brain. now I have to sift through many duplicate files in my external and have the added bonus of macs wonderful catagorising to keepme on my toes.