The Nostrodamus Pool

Forum for hijacking, general discussion, chatting and off-topic posting
oink
Forum Guru

The Nostrodamus Pool

Post by oink » 20 Jan 2004, 21:34

With so much predicting and prognostication going on about waht various companies, including Apple, are going to do with software and hardware development. I thought we should just start a pool to se who is closest to the money :)

No prizes, but, at least, some people will be able to point back here and say how right they were.
Also we can stop getting fantasy and reality mixed up in the other forums.

Post your tips here in this format:

Company :

Technology:

Product:

Timeframe:

Prediction:

For example, lately, the most common prediction has been:

Company :
Apple

Technology:
DSP hardware

Product:
New

Timeframe:
This year

Prediction:
Apple will introduce a hardware DSP option to compete with Digidesign, etc.

OK folks, go for it !! :)

[and please keep fantasizing out of the other forums, if we can, at least as a topic in itself.
Of course that kind of thing can come up in other topics, but as the primary topic, fantasy/predictions, are just so much background noise, in the other forums.]

mpr3
Site Supporter

Re: The Nostrodamus Pool

Post by mpr3 » 20 Jan 2004, 21:48

Company : Apple

Technology: Consumer based CPU clustering

Product: Host and Client applications similar to Apple Remote Desktop, along with a FW 800/1600 cable

Timeframe: 2 - 5 years

Prediction: This will be the end to all DSP cards for both Video and Audio, and is the single biggest thing Digidesign/Avid is scared of. Apple is in the hardware business and I predict that such an application would actually help sell more hardware, as well as ensure that current Mac users remain future Mac users.

Heritage
Site Supporter

Post by Heritage » 20 Jan 2004, 23:55

Company : Sony

Technology: Mix Bus Summing Modeling

Product: DAW

Timeframe: 1-2 Years

Prediction: Sony will develop mix buss summing emulations that other companies will integrate in their codebase.

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 06 Mar 2004, 01:07

Company : Apple / Emagic

Technology: Upgrade

Product: Logic

Timeframe: August 2004

Prediction: Logic 7 will be released, with all the new plugs, plus plug in delay compensation. will cost between 200-450$ for an upgrade.

I just want to be able to see how far off I was! :)
DP7, Live 8 Suite

kanker
Owner/Admin

Post by kanker » 06 Mar 2004, 01:39

michael wrote:Company : Apple / Emagic

Technology: Upgrade

Product: Logic

Timeframe: August 2004

Prediction: Logic 7 will be released, with all the new plugs, plus plug in delay compensation. will cost between 200-450$ for an upgrade.

I just want to be able to see how far off I was! :)
Going by your time frame, I predict that my Pro 7 upgrade will get here 2 weeks before my Pro 6.4.1 will.
2.66 Ghz MBP, 10.6.2, Logic Studio, u-he stuff, Komplete 5
web space
myspace
I'm a recovering reverb addict. I've been dry 7 years

qo
Site Supporter

Post by qo » 01 Oct 2004, 20:14

Just noting that michael was not that far off in his prediction! And, mpr3 showed amazing prescience given Apple's DAP for LAP7.

qo

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 01 Oct 2004, 20:32

Yeah that's pretty dammed cool actually! Thanks for reminding me about this! :)
DP7, Live 8 Suite

Urbanaut

[SPAM].....hmmm.[SPAM][SPAM]

Post by Urbanaut » 02 Oct 2004, 03:28

.......wow.[SPAM]..... that's pretty creepy. I remember reading this thread a long time ago.
"It's okay Sweetie, the doctor's gonna cut the ugly right out of you!"

RCory
Site Supporter

Post by RCory » 12 Oct 2004, 17:55

Company: Steinberg

Tech: Music Composing artificial intelligence

Product: My Personal Composing Robot

Timeframe: late 2005

Prediction: Steinberg will introduce AI plug-in/stand alone that analyses and creates an algorithm based on a users habits, production style, AU instrument preferences, chord structure, mix eqs, frequency analyses and will compose and render entire songs with rendered separate tracks options.

Heritage
Site Supporter

Post by Heritage » 12 Oct 2004, 19:07

That would not be a stretch for me.

ii V I.

NOMS

Post by NOMS » 04 Nov 2004, 11:28

Company : EXXON TAMOIL

Technology: veryyy old

Product: guess?

Timeframe: tomorrow

Prediction: There are still some rape to accomplish around the world and they will do it with some war.

Sorry, i couldn't resist...
:D

Kent Sandvik
Twitter: kentsandvik

Post by Kent Sandvik » 04 Nov 2004, 12:00

Company : Ableton and Propellerheads

Technology: DAW

Product: Ableton Live 5.0

Timeframe: Early to mid next year

Prediction: Ableton and Propellerheads will merge. The Reason technology will be incorporated into the Live setup as built-in SW tools and plugins. This includes ReCycle that is now a part of the Live production tools setup (style Apple Loops).

This is just in line with the normal consolidation that happens between audio companies, especially just now. Live needs a boost concerning their plugin and SW offerings to compete with Logic and and Steinberg. Propellerheads needs a DAW, and realize it takes a lot of work and money to introduce yet another one.

In addition, the sound engine in Live will be rewamped, better algorithms for time stretching. Solutions for film producers, too, and a new mode for DJs to easily make multiple loop points, save envelope clips for replaying later...

Ableton might also split Live into two parts, and introduction and DJ-focused version, and a professional version, Ableton Live 5.0 Pro that in addition has all the SW synths, extended plugins and mastering tools (similar to the Logic product setup). However, no dongle, and the price point will be below SX and Logic Pro.

Anyway, just a guess, I don't have anything to do with either company.

--Kent

wishforwings

Post by wishforwings » 21 Dec 2004, 21:16

Technology: High-end firewire interface

Product: A better Firewire interface than what they are supposedly going to release to help out their garageband users.

Timeframe: release: 4th quarter, 2005

Prediction: Apple will have to introduce a high-end interface that will compliment their newish ownership of Logic.

frackyfreak
Site Supporter

Post by frackyfreak » 21 Dec 2004, 21:40

Company: Yamaha/Steinberg/Pinnacle

Technology: Cubase/VST and everything else by Steinberg.

Timeframe: December 2004

Prediction: In a shocking move Yamaha will buy the Steinberg divison from Pinnacle, causing much surprise and spurring an interesting discussion among the osxa members.

Remember you heard it here first.
Got Head?: :shock: :cry: :? 8) :( :o :lol: :evil: :roll: :x :oops: :twisted:

wishforwings

My wish list

Post by wishforwings » 21 Dec 2004, 21:58

These didn't start as predictions, but more as wishes for me, but I'll use this format so as not to congest this particular forum with another pointless blah blah blah thread:

Technology: portable DAW

Product: All-in-one laptop-style DAW, with mic-pres/compressors + emulation, Hi-z, MIDI, spdif, 1/4", DAC/ADC, 24/192, near-zero latency, many many many I/O, headphone monitoring, hardware volume control, 20" display, 24 automated faders, use mouse pad like a Kaoss pad, buttons, dials, customizeable keyboard (label single keys with their respective key commands- play, stop, etc. and ALL Logic effect plugins have a predetermined, but customizeable commands via the keyboard, buttons, sliders, pots and mouse pad.), external hardware LCD/LED CPU/volume&clipping/ready/use monitoring indicators, Sturdy chassis, strong handles, quality carrying case, interchangeable + upgradeable hardware (pres, mixer, etc. from other willing 3rd party companies- kind of like Access doing a plugin for TC. Interchangeable pres/inputs allows you to have exactly how many I/O and types of I/O you want or need, and can be changed/swapped easily if your needs change). Several processors/engines for handling effects, input, playback and recording. USB, FW, Superduperdrive etc. Not loaded with unneccesary crap like iPhoto or iCal or iCrap- just *Logic 9 PRO MOBILE*, and your choice of 3rd party plugins. A friggin' INTERNAL XSkey- one that doesn't hang off the size of my machine like a limb ready to be broken off by my cat.

Timeframe: Five years from now

Prediction: Ummm... see above. Oh- my prediction is this: an all-in-one laptop-style DAW would kick ass.

Reason: I hate all these wires hanging out of my powerbook that is running software that is made to handle all this equipment that can be turned into an all-in-one unit. I hate all these wires.
Last edited by wishforwings on 21 Dec 2004, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.