Fahrenheit 9/11

Forum for hijacking, general discussion, chatting and off-topic posting
jbessom
Site Supporter

Fahrenheit 9/11

Post by jbessom » 28 Jun 2004, 20:21

Why lock a thread just when it's getting interesting!

Yeah, Saddam was a terrible dictator - of HIS country.
We should NOT be the world's police! That's what the UN is for. And we go against them all the time. We're the brat of the world.

War on Terror?

War on Drugs?

What's next, how about "War on Thought"
The conservatives could really have something with that one, as they practice it effectively already.

Read some Chomsky about US backed terrorist agression. We're really no better than any of the other terrorists, and in a sense worse, because we say one thing and do another (ie claiming to "liberate" people when we're really just giving our corporations free reign over their people).

I should probably just move to Canada, or the Netherlands.
Sick of being American, ashamed even. We could have been SO different, so much potential squadered.

cerberus

Post by cerberus » 28 Jun 2004, 20:37

Hrm locked..

damn. I never got to post that the Carlyle Group were one of my favorite bands back in the day... .

cerberus
"It's quite scary actually, they seem to have nailed it, haven't they?"

fishphacurr

Re: Fahrenheit 9/11

Post by fishphacurr » 28 Jun 2004, 20:42

jbessom wrote:Why lock a thread just when it's getting interesting!
Agreed. I mean, yes this is OSXAUDIO, but it is the general/misc. area where we can all gather and shoot the BS....... I didn't think is was getting too heated.....yet, anyways :D

rod samuel
Site Supporter

Post by rod samuel » 28 Jun 2004, 21:23

Well speaking as a Canadian I can truthfully say it's has been a bit scary up here during the last 4 weeks of the Federal General Elections.
As it stands;
Liberals- 138 seats
Conservatives- 92 seats
Bloc-54 seats
New Democrats- 21 seats
Green/Communist- 1 seats
Jbessom, I am happy to report that it seems it is still a safe bet to move to Canada, I can not answer for the Netherlands though. :D
A very happy Rod Samuel :D :D :D :D

nickgold
Forum Guru

Post by nickgold » 29 Jun 2004, 06:38

Let's just keep it civil, gang. I agree that non-music topics should have a place here, sequestered away in the General/Misc. category.
Comments reflect my own opinions only.

robttwo

Move

Post by robttwo » 29 Jun 2004, 07:02

>>>>I should probably just move to Canada, or the Netherlands.
Sick of being American, ashamed even. We could have been SO different, so much potential squadered.<<<<

Please, by all means, move.

Mind-Over-Midi
Site Supporter

Post by Mind-Over-Midi » 29 Jun 2004, 07:18

Wow, the 911 thread has been locked? The bush supporters tried to block the movie from being shown, next they plan to try to have the advertising for the movie pulled (like that will do any good). Now the Fahrenheit 9/11 thread on OSXAudio has been blocked. Kind of makes you go humm.[SPAM][SPAM][SPAM]...... :roll:

tribalogical
Site Supporter

Post by tribalogical » 29 Jun 2004, 07:25

robttwo... typical response.... that old "America, love it or leave it" theme... buncha nationalistic hooey, if you ask me....

I'm an American, and also deeply embarrassed by the behaviour of our government and our 'power elite'... From out here in the world, I can say the US is viewed as just as scary as any other "group", terrorist, rogue nation, whatever. We are NOT the "good guy" right now, and no rationalization justifies what we're into these days.

At what point do we point to ourselves and recognize who we are, what our nation is becoming? The bad guy, with all the "right intentions"? Our best spirit has been hijacked by neo-con extremists... is this what we pledge our allegiance to? Or a higher ideal?

I choose the latter, even if it means criticizing (and correcting) ourselves in the process... bring back the Constitution, baby...

just a minor rant, from yet another "besieged" american :)

peace,
tribalogical
:
: Mac Pro 8-core 2.66Ghz (nehalem)/6Gb/OSX.5.8
: ReMOTE 61SL, KORE
: SX3.1.1, Logic Studio, Live 8 Suite, Reason 3.0.5, hordes of plugins... aeron chair, sunshine, ahhhhhh...
:
Official Spectrasonics Team Member!

Mind-Over-Midi
Site Supporter

Post by Mind-Over-Midi » 29 Jun 2004, 07:53

tribalogical wrote:robttwo... typical response.... that old "America, love it or leave it" theme... buncha nationalistic hooey, if you ask me....

I'm an American, and also deeply embarrassed by the behaviour of our government and our 'power elite'... From out here in the world, I can say the US is viewed as just as scary as any other "group", terrorist, rogue nation, whatever. We are NOT the "good guy" right now, and no rationalization justifies what we're into these days.

At what point do we point to ourselves and recognize who we are, what our nation is becoming? The bad guy, with all the "right intentions"? Our best spirit has been hijacked by neo-con extremists... is this what we pledge our allegiance to? Or a higher ideal?

I choose the latter, even if it means criticizing (and correcting) ourselves in the process... bring back the Constitution, baby...

just a minor rant, from yet another "besieged" american :)

peace,
tribalogical
Well put!

cannikin
Forum Guru

Post by cannikin » 29 Jun 2004, 08:28

I just returned from a 2 week vacation in Turkey "one of those dangerous countries to vacation"....NOT. The country is amazing and the people were so kind and open. At first, out of fear I told people that I was Canadian, but after a day it became obvious that the people (on a one to one level) had no issue with Americans. In fact when we talked politics with everyone we met and there was no hostility in the conversation.

The Footage of Iraq in Moore's film is what was on the Turkish news nightly. The US citizen is being lied to. The information we get is diluted, censored, and inaccurate.

As the credits were rolling to Fahrenheit 9/11, I felt depressed, frustrated, angry, cheated and lied to.

But there was one thing I was happy about; this movie is the first in years to make a social and political statement on current events, that hasn't happened since the 60's and early 70's.
It used to be that music was in the forefront in vocalizing the frustrations of politics and society. Thanks to ClearChannel that will never happen again. ClearChannel is just as evil as the Bush administration, not to mention they are in the administrations back pocket.

When they pulled the dixie chicks from the playlist for commenting on Bush..wow does that raise red flags. Talk about Censorship. No wonder music on the radio all sounds the same and is generally a bunch of crap.

I urge every US citizen to Vote AND also write your legislators to stop changing the FCC laws which have allowed ClearChannel to build a monopoly. Moreover, create legislation to break up the monopoly. It would be in a step in the right direction for all the musicians in the US.

Aleatoric

Post by Aleatoric » 29 Jun 2004, 09:42

I am moving to Vancouver in August. Going to Vancouver Film School for sound design program. After seeing Bowling for Colombine and Farenheight 911 I only feel more confident about living in BC.

filarion
Site Supporter

Post by filarion » 29 Jun 2004, 09:52

I still love this one: http://www.mindonly.net/

yay B.C.!
-- http://www.regicide.org --
deer music

Post by Guest » 30 Jun 2004, 09:20

how would you reply to critics' appeal of propaganda?

shudder

Post by shudder » 30 Jun 2004, 10:11

Of course it's propaganda! It's a film with a particular agenda. Once a piece of communication has an agenda, it's propaganda (an admittedly liberal definition, but a useful one). Unlike the propaganda from the US administration, however, this one is overtly propaganda. Everyone knows it is, and approaches viewing it from that angle. Administration propaganda, in its various guises, is markedly more subtle about its motivations, and therefore more insidious. Bring on the propaganda from the left, I say. There's been more than enough of it from the right in the US.

jrathkopf

Post by jrathkopf » 30 Jun 2004, 10:16

yeah ... seriously.. i am not afraid to say it; screw all the uber conservative religious right Americans.... I am sick of having God and Jesus decide what is right for the people of this country. Stop freaking out about language and Super Bowl tits when there is much more heavy shit going on that the Government is simultaneously hiding and profiting from. Hypocrits.