Live 8

Discussion of Ableton Live and exclusive effects, hardware or instruments
foldedSoul
Site Supporter

Live 8

Post by foldedSoul » 02 Apr 2009, 16:13

It's here, it works, it's what my credit card was waiting for...
:)
You pop!
[WALL-E]

dinerdog

Re: Live 8

Post by dinerdog » 03 Apr 2009, 05:59

I'm curious. I think I'll be trying that free 14 day trial.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » 03 Apr 2009, 20:28

For me, the best parts of the upgrade are Operator (user waves!!!) and the new groove options. Color coding the tracks is handy too, i use that feature to sync up visually with the Metric Halo v5 mixer. Its made working in both environments a bit easier.

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » 08 Apr 2009, 12:24

I love the new features but as of now, Live 8 seems to be running Horribly slow under os x.
Waiting for the 1st bug fix to come out because were all basically still beta testing this software.

Superballoon

Post by Superballoon » 08 Apr 2009, 13:23

Works pretty well for me, I haven't had time to investigate properly but I've been running the beta since a few months, it's stable enough, I don't notice any difference with 7.

I really like the new timestretch options, and the warp markers system, suits my work and workflow really well.
MBP, OSX 10.6, Logic 9, FCP7, Live 8. Web.

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 08 Apr 2009, 14:00

A lot of things I wanted in the update. I don't think it's quite ready for release, as a few serious bugs I had were fixed literally days before they announced release.

I'm also disappointed in Ableton as a business for raising the price of the basic upgrade in the middle of a global economic meltdown. I'm not able to afford it ATM, and I'm certain I'm not alone. They have a right to do what they want price wise, and I'm sure have valid reasons, I just don't think this was the wisest cycle to raise prices that significantly on. Especially if they want people to also buy Max for Live, and APC etc. To put numbers on it, I paid $119 for each upgrade previously, this time it's $189, even with a discount for being a Live 7 user, it's still $40 more than last time, and the economy was a bit better off then. I understand they can't backpedal now, I just hope it doesn't hurt them as a business, and I'm bummed I can't rush out and buy the upgrade, that's all.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

_bp

Post by _bp » 08 Apr 2009, 16:00

I am pretty happy with Live 8 itself. I really like the new corpus effect. That alone makes me extremely happy. I also like the small tweaks to the piano roll editor and workflow.

However, I am less than pleased about my upgrade process. I received a coupon for upgrading and despite it accepting it at check out, I was charged the non-discount rate on my card. Ableton support basically has taken a "not our problem" attitude on it. I actually didn't care about the money aspect but when I emailed them about to let me know they may have a potential issue with their check out system they were so rude about it in response that I am now irked by it.
a pair of spoons and jug of moonshine.

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 08 Apr 2009, 23:51

Wow? _bp I'm pretty surprised by that? I've had nothing but decent emails with them. I'm also the type to drill at this until I get the price I was promised, I think you should. They raised the basic upgrade by $70 this year, and the $30 coupon was there to help ease the transition obviously.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

stringtapper
Site Supporter

Post by stringtapper » 09 Apr 2009, 11:53

This surprises me too and if you have it all in emails I would suggest not letting it pass. The coupon should be awarded as promised and the rude response from customer service needs to be brought to their attention.
Unsound Designer

foldedSoul
Site Supporter

Post by foldedSoul » 09 Apr 2009, 11:59

Ableton are the only folks in the music gear biz that I've ever sent to thanks to for customer service. Maybe it was a bad day at the ranch...
You pop!
[WALL-E]

_bp

Post by _bp » 09 Apr 2009, 18:05

We'll see what happens I sent them a follow-up a few days ago but I they haven't responded. I can't say Ableton has provided poor support in the past but nor could I say they have been outstanding, just simply ok. Then again it is rare that I have to contact any software company for support. Emagic a few times way back in the day, never Apple, Waves and NI maybe once or twice (always licensing issues).

Symbolic Sound is probably my gold standard but their model is different (higher priced, speciality product v commodity mass market). The type of support you need from SSC is typically different too, less 'this is broken' and more 'help me with this design problem'.

josquin2000
Site Supporter

Post by josquin2000 » 10 Apr 2009, 06:36

_bp wrote: Symbolic Sound is probably my gold standard but their model is different (higher priced, speciality product v commodity mass market). The type of support you need from SSC is typically different too, less 'this is broken' and more 'help me with this design problem'.

wouldn't doubt it: Kurt and Carla (founders/creators of Symbolic Sound & Kyma/Capybara) were some of the nicest folk i ever met in computer music research...i am *thrilled* the old "platypus signal processor" became this sound design juggernaut. If i wasn't working in poverty stricken Florida, where property insurance has doubled in the last few years, trying to put two brilliant daughters thru an overpriced university system in a competitive dev environment where we all pray to not be the next state worker let off,
I'd buy everything symbolic sounds sells.
But the 8-DSP box i desire is too much for my pocket, sigh.
anyway, Go, GO, GO!, Kurt & Carla / SymbolicSound !!!
ALSO Ableton Live support is good, dangit...they are at least better than MOTU...although I do love my long association w/ Digital Performer, they are a bit challenged in response time and skill level of responders: often the forums @ unicornation are the best source of info...

just my tuppence, ymmv, l&k,
charlie b aka j2k :D
"now it's over, I'm Dead,
and I haven't done anything that I want,
or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do"
T.M.B.G.

_bp

Post by _bp » 10 Apr 2009, 15:13

re: Ableton. the second rep that responded was great and friendly and all is sorted, actually responding to the inquiry rather than just linking to a policy page. i've run a support department a few times over my professional career so I tend to cut companies a good bit of slack.

re: SSC. i've been a customer for 10+ years now and like you can't say enough good things about Kurt and Carla.
they have a new system out which makes is a huge step up from the previous version. i haven't made the plunge yet but doubt i can hold off too much longer. the base system is 2x my 5 card system in processing and the 'pro' version is 2x the old fully loaded system (at over half the price).

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Post by G » 10 Apr 2009, 16:44

Pacarana! (A friend is trading up to one right now, and I'm gathering info for the front page.)
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info