Convolution/Impulse response reverbs in AU

Effects and signal processing hardware, plug-ins, presets, impulse responses
torsig1967

Convolution/Impulse response reverbs in AU

Post by torsig1967 » 31 Mar 2007, 13:01

I wonder what Convolution reverbs (working with sampled impulse responses - like Space Designer in Logic) for Audio Units there are on the market?

Heritage
Site Supporter

Post by Heritage » 31 Mar 2007, 14:37

Waves IR1
Altiverb
Kontakt 2

Hmm, what else have I missed?

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Post by G » 31 Mar 2007, 16:31

Wizooverb
Mac mini (M1) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Big Sur . Logic Pro . TwistedWave . FCP . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

Ash

Post by Ash » 02 Apr 2007, 23:53

Sonicbirth (now freeware) comes with a pre-built convolution AU - but use with care as it is LOUD! :wink:.

dead_red_eyes

Post by dead_red_eyes » 03 Apr 2007, 00:53

Ash wrote:Sonicbirth (now freeware) comes with a pre-built convolution AU - but use with care as it is LOUD! :wink:.
Yes it is!!! Haha.
Macbook Pro ('07)[15.4", 2.16Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.5.7] | Digital Performer 5.13 | Logic Pro 9.0.2 | Reason 4.0.1 | Various Soft-Synths | Alesis iO/26

torsig1967

Post by torsig1967 » 03 Apr 2007, 03:00

Thanks everyone.

Wizoo has a reasonable price for my wallet - hope it has a reasonable sound.
-
Yes, I've read about Sonicbirth but been a bit reluctant to try it. I tried Pluggo for some time on Mac OS Classic and had some problems with that, crashes and stuff so I stopped using it. Maybe Pluggo is better now on OS X.

Anyway, does it seem like Sonicbirth AU:s are requiring more CPU than ordinary AU:s? I was afraid there's a bit of overhead on those or am I wrong?

jb
Site Supporter

Post by jb » 10 Apr 2007, 23:43

torsig1967 wrote:I tried Pluggo for some time on Mac OS Classic and had some problems with that, crashes and stuff so I stopped using it. Maybe Pluggo is better now on OS X.
Yes, in my experience with Pluggo (since long ago in my OS9 days), it is much more stable and far less prone to problem issues now. It seems pretty much transparent to me now in its latest form. I know lots of people balk when they see the word Pluggo, but for me it's something I haven't had issues with in a long time. And it's a must for me, as I rely heavily on TriToneDigital plug ins, which are Pluggos.

Cheers.
jb
Professional Mixing Service
http://www.DotComMusic.com/ears2u/

Loopy C

Post by Loopy C » 11 Apr 2007, 09:44

jb wrote:
torsig1967 wrote:I tried Pluggo for some time on Mac OS Classic and had some problems with that, crashes and stuff so I stopped using it. Maybe Pluggo is better now on OS X.
Yes, in my experience with Pluggo (since long ago in my OS9 days), it is much more stable and far less prone to problem issues now. It seems pretty much transparent to me now in its latest form. I know lots of people balk when they see the word Pluggo, but for me it's something I haven't had issues with in a long time. And it's a must for me, as I rely heavily on TriToneDigital plug ins, which are Pluggos.

Cheers.
jb
Ditto here also :wink:
"Shut up, he explained"
Chris R Gibson ( a.k.a. Loopy C )
http://www.jesusworedickies.com/merch.html
http://www.loopyc.com
MacBook Pro| 2.8 GHz i7|8G RAM|OS 10.6.6 |Logic Pro 9.1.3
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 8 Core 2.66 Ghz | 16G RAM | OS 10.5.8 | Logic 9.1.3

vanceg

Post by vanceg » 11 Apr 2007, 12:22

Ash wrote:Sonicbirth (now freeware) comes with a pre-built convolution AU - but use with care as it is LOUD! :wink:.
Yes it is - And/But/However: I have been finding that I need to turn down the input volume into all three of the convolution reverbs that I use (Waves IR1, Sonic Birth and AltaVerb). I notice that most of the files I am using have the inpulse response signal pretty loud (normalized in some cases). So, I either reduce it's volume, or reduce the volume of the signal I send into the units.

The SonicBirth reverb doesn't have much (any) control whereas most of the others offer some type of midifications you can do to the signal. But, SonicBirth is free and doesn't require a dongle...and takes less CPU thatn either of the other two that I use on a regular basis.

Vance

the8bitdeity
Site Supporter

Post by the8bitdeity » 15 Apr 2007, 17:34

I too have noticed that Sonic Birth's Convolution Reverb is EXTREMELY too loud. If I try to perform a similar operation (non-realtime) in Soundhack, I tend to have to normalize the resultant convolvement. I wonder if something in SB's Convo algorithm is adding a fixed gain amount. I find to have anything usable I have to turn the "wet" output to almost 0.1.

Anyone got any suggestions?
5..4..3..1!

Simon666

Post by Simon666 » 17 Apr 2007, 00:59

the8bitdeity wrote:I too have noticed that Sonic Birth's Convolution Reverb is EXTREMELY too loud. If I try to perform a similar operation (non-realtime) in Soundhack, I tend to have to normalize the resultant convolvement. I wonder if something in SB's Convo algorithm is adding a fixed gain amount. I find to have anything usable I have to turn the "wet" output to almost 0.1.

Anyone got any suggestions?
help is here!
From a Sonicbirth thread : http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=35841
dven wrote:Speaking of SonicBirth. Here http://www.savefile.com/files/587675 is a mod I did of the included convolution reverb. I skinned it and added an extra gain control so that you can actually use it without blowing your monitors/self into the next room;-). Included are an AU and vst version. Stereo only. Tested in Logic 7.2.3, Tracktion 1.5, Live 6, and AU Lab.

edit - please download from the new link http://www.savefile.com/files/589894 if you've already downloaded the file. I've added the SonicBirth project file and the graphics I used to the archive. You may need to open the .sbc file and export the files yourself to have the plugs function properly.

Support limited to when I get around to playing with it again. If anyone wants, I can also upload the original SonicBirth file.

cheers,
dorian

dven

Post by dven » 17 Apr 2007, 05:40

Hopefully, the modded SB convo reverb should still be up, but I can repost if necessary. If I have time, I'm thinking of a) allowing users to load multiple IRs and mix the results as they like and b) I'm trying to think of a nice way to allow users to manually trim the IR(s) within the plug so that you can save on the CPU hit when mixing.

All that is entirely dependent on when I have spare time......heh, heh.

dorian
10.5.8 3.0 Quad & 10.5.8 MacBook C2D 2.0, LE 8.0.3, LE7.2.3, Tracktion 1.6

n8tron

Post by n8tron » 19 Apr 2007, 19:29

I keep getting cpu spikes with the convo...both the stock and the mod. I"m on a mac pro 2.66.

question... when you are loading a wav and your IR is two mono files does it automatically load both when you load one? how does that work?

dven

Post by dven » 20 Apr 2007, 11:53

As far as I know, the SB convo verb will load only the file you select. It will NOT automatically load linked mono files. You'll have to convert the linked mono to stereo interleaved or load two instances of the IR and load the two separate files.

As far as spikes go, I have noticed that you may get spikes while loading the IR and while tweaking settings, especially with AULab (for some reason - haven't really noticed it in logic). Also keep in mind that loooooong IRs will tax the CPU more than shorties. If you've got IRs that have lots of silence on the tails, you may want to manually trim them to cut on CPU hit.

cheers,
dorian
10.5.8 3.0 Quad & 10.5.8 MacBook C2D 2.0, LE 8.0.3, LE7.2.3, Tracktion 1.6

jonnyfire

Re: Convolution/Impulse response reverbs in AU

Post by jonnyfire » 16 May 2013, 14:45

Hello, i know it's from 2007 but hope someone still using Sonicbirth Reverbhttp://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/posting.php? ... e19d907bb6#
i recently switched to a new computer with Logic Express 9 and was used to Space Designer,
As now there are only 2 freebies witch allow impulses, LA Convolver (nice but very unconfortable to use , you have to load the same impluse file for either L and R and each one got his own fader) and the sonicbirth one,
IS LOOOOOOUDDDDDDD
even 0.1 on the wet know can't use in insert, in send using only wet channel the fader goes down to -18 or so

I cannot donwload the above patch you gentleman Dven uploaded so far ,i guess is still online but it gets me on a sort of download page for a "custom web page"

THhank you very much
Johnny