TC Electronic drop Powercore product range

Effects and signal processing hardware, plug-ins, presets, impulse responses
Fatnurse
Site Supporter

TC Electronic drop Powercore product range

Post by Fatnurse » 19 Jan 2011, 10:15

Just got an email from TC saying they are dropping the Powercore hardware and software range, here is a copy of the email:

TC Electronic Newsletter
Future development of the PowerCore platform has been ceased

As part of a larger strategic review, we have decided to cease further development of the PowerCore product range, including hardware units as well as software for the PowerCore platform. With the most recent release of software version 4.0, PowerCore is fully compatible with current operating systems, such as Mac OS X Leopard, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7, as well as the most popular DAWs - 32 bit and 64 bit.

We will continue to sell all of the existing PowerCore plug-ins (through dealers and www.tc-now.com) and hardware variants. We will also keep offering user support for the platform so you should be able to continue using your current system for quite a long period. Bugfixes will be handed on a case-by-case basis.

Also, it is very important to stress that we will continue our general computer recording activities, including audio interfaces and plug-ins.

Finally, for those of you, who wish to continue using externally powered plug-ins on the long term and want to find an alternative to PowerCore, we have collaborated with Universal Audio in order to create an attractive UAD-2 crossgrade offer. The only condition is that you are new to the UAD platform. Read more about the crossgrade offer here.

TC Electronic A/S - Sindalsvej 34 - DK-8240 Risskov - Denmark
This email was sent to matt@digitallunarsea.co.uk. You can instantly unsubscribe from these emails by clicking here.
Digitallunarsea Studios

http://www.soundcloud.com/fatnurse

For all forms of electronic music creation and tutoring

Re: TC Electronic drop Powercore product range

Post by 27 » 19 Jan 2011, 10:28

"I am jack's complete lack of surprise"

too bad for powercore owners who have invested a lot in the system... really not surprising though.

Fatnurse
Site Supporter

Post by Fatnurse » 19 Jan 2011, 10:55

Strangely enough I dumped my powercore about 4 weeks ago after years of various problems and it basically making any system I put it on unstable.....I like to think they gave up hope on it after they found out I gave up hehe
Digitallunarsea Studios

WaveTable

Post by WaveTable » 20 Jan 2011, 12:40

It will be interesting to see if they port the plug-in to native versions.

Essentially DSP cards can't compete with native processing on Intel.
Logic Pro 9, Live 8.

Post by 27 » 20 Jan 2011, 14:07

WaveTable wrote:It will be interesting to see if they port the plug-in to native versions.

the interesting thing about that will be how they decide to handle existing users of the powercore. will they get a free crossgrade to the native versions (should that happen) or will they have to pay (again) for the same plug ins?

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 20 Jan 2011, 22:11

27 wrote:
WaveTable wrote:It will be interesting to see if they port the plug-in to native versions.

the interesting thing about that will be how they decide to handle existing users of the powercore. will they get a free crossgrade to the native versions (should that happen) or will they have to pay (again) for the same plug ins?
Lets hope that TC don't do the same tricks as Antares where they re-release their plug ins natively but change the look of the GUI and plug in name and then re-sell them to loyal Powercore users at a premium upgrade price!

I for one will no longer every buy any product from TC Electronics. I owned and loved using their 'Spike' editing software back in the early 2000s until they inexplicably stopped development. It had IMHO a much friendlier GUI than Bias Peak that I now have and barely use because I liked Spike so much better. I upgraded to Peak at a special TC/BIAS crossgrade price but I shouldn't have wasted the money (Peak is excellent but I don't use it enough!).

Now TC have ceased support of their Powercore platform. As a Powercore Firewire Compact owner, I'm very disappointed and won't be so stupid as to pay to upgrade to UAD when it's taken them an eternity to bring out proper firewire support for their hardware!

I was looking at a TC firewire interface but will instead not worry as who knows what's going to be next in their product line to lose support?????????
Imac i7 3.4 ghz 16GB RAM Logic Pro 9 Protools 10 Reason 7
MIDITEK MUSIC PRODUCTION, RECORDING & TUITION: Backing Tracks, Demos & Albums.

WaveTable

Post by WaveTable » 21 Jan 2011, 04:35

I would hope that they would offer a discount to PoC customers. But they are bound to charge something as quite a lot of development would be needed to migrate.

And then if they were going to migrate to native why not do the migration and then announce that they are discontinuing PoC and make an offer to existing customers. Doing it this way they are creating a lot of bad publicity.

Also this means that old projects using PoC will eventually cease to load and play, a problem for some people. At least with native plug-ins, such as Waves, where the developer continues to support all their plug-ins, when I load an old project from 2003, hit play the plug-in load perfectly and as I bounced everything else to audio files the project plays back without requiring too much adjustment!
Logic Pro 9, Live 8.

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Post by G » 21 Jan 2011, 22:35

Received this note from Softube today (all emphasis theirs).
On January 19, TC Electronic announced that they will cease further development of the PowerCore platform.

Softube offers a crossgrade for PowerCore users that own Tube-Tech CL 1B or Vintage Amp Room for PowerCore. Send us proof of purchase for Tube-Tech CL 1B or Vintage Amp Room for PowerCore and we will offer a 50% discount when purchasing the native versions from us. For those of you that already own both PowerCore and native licenses, get in touch with us and we will handle it on a case-by-case basis. This offer is valid until February 28.
http://www.softube.com/newsletter/2011-01-poco.html

I'd give my pinky toe if Access would do the same for the PoCo Virus. I know, the Moto DSP chip yadda yadda. Emulate that ancient chip on x86 already. It's 2011 and I don't need that toe.
Mac mini (M1) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Big Sur . Logic Pro . TwistedWave . FCP . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

roman

Post by roman » 25 Jan 2011, 09:38

the virus poco always was a piece of crap, yet it is a nice solution for people
with a slower and computer and the idea to work without hardware synths.

a very small group of users when you think about it ...
steinberg ist heilbar.

Fatnurse
Site Supporter

Post by Fatnurse » 25 Jan 2011, 10:08

aaaaah Spark! I'd forgotten about that! I used to love that app
Digitallunarsea Studios

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Post by G » 25 Jan 2011, 13:48

roman wrote:the virus poco always was a piece of crap, yet it is a nice solution for people
with a slower and computer and the idea to work without hardware synths.

a very small group of users when you think about it ...
The old Virus B is the only modern hardware synth that I wish I hadn't sold, but yeah, I also remember reading about all the trouble using the PoCo version. I don't mind if they fix things while they're at it. At least they wouldn't be limited to fixed DSP anymore. (There's a pie up there in the sky, do you see it?)
Mac mini (M1) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Big Sur . Logic Pro . TwistedWave . FCP . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 26 Jan 2011, 15:44

Fatnurse wrote:aaaaah Spark! I'd forgotten about that! I used to love that app
I was really pissed off when TC stopped supporting Spark. I found it to be by far the best 2 track editing/CD burning software out there and the included plugs were also excellent. TC could have been leader of the pack in this department if they didn't stop support of this application.

Like I said above, TC will no longer get a single cent from me because of their habit of discontinuing what I consider to be good products in their product line.

roman

Post by roman » 27 Jan 2011, 07:29

i dont see that pie in the sky and i dont see how the virus
or the noveltech stuff comes to native soon.

the first thing on their to do list os to move their software to the
UAD platform, probably loosing half of it due to similar products
already existing on UAD.

but one must also take into account that your existing poco hardware
will keep working for the next years, there is no selftermination in
it which is activated when they decide to stop making a new one.
so no panic.
steinberg ist heilbar.

dauntless

Post by dauntless » 31 Jan 2011, 12:25

As an owner of the X8 pretty pissed off with TC dropping the product but what to do?

I read on the website that there is NO chance of native plugins....

.... oh well

Just as long as the plugins I have continue to work... all is not lost.

good luck to them.

d
Check out my Review of the Blue Snowball USB Microphone Microphone. It Rocks!
Click here for info on the Zoom H2
Check out my Zoom H1 Review

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 01 Feb 2011, 16:39

I'd be very keen to buy a Powercore X8 at a very very very cheap price now that I know they're being discontinued. I'm happy with my current system and don't intend to (nor can I afford) any major upgrades, so a Powercore X8 would fit into my system very well for the next few years:) Of course, there's no way in Hell that I'll pay a premium price for it. I'm waiting very keenly for all the main music retailers to get rid of their remaining stock of Powercore units at very cheap prices :)