Getting Warmth out of Space Designer

Effects and signal processing hardware, plug-ins, presets, impulse responses
ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Getting Warmth out of Space Designer

Post by ottoman42a » 30 Jan 2011, 22:41

Hey guys I'm creating a lot of whooshes for a piece of theatre I'm working on and the presets in Space Designer all sound fairly metallic and cold to me. Is there any way to warm them up or any presets you found that give you a nice warm tone?
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

funkyappledog

Re: Getting Warmth out of Space Designer

Post by funkyappledog » 31 Jan 2011, 02:24

Dont insert SD on the track[s] use send /return and then on SD's return fader/buss you can insert a Favourite EQ and compressor if you want,this way you can tailor the reverbs tone independently .Thats what i do if its close but lacking punch.

barreltone

Post by barreltone » 31 Jan 2011, 08:25

I'm not near my machine right now (and usually work with a different 'verb), but there should be controls to tame the high frequencies. I will almost always filter out or shelf-eq the reverb's highs above 5 khz, sometimes above 3 khz, to reduce the metallic sound. In real-life reverberation, higher-frequencies lose their energy faster, so they tend to get lost in the reflections. So in the digital world, filtering out some highs can make your 'verb sound more realistic, if that's what you're going for.

dauntless

Post by dauntless » 31 Jan 2011, 12:29

Exactly what barreltone said, bit of EQ to take out some highs and even take out a bit at 1k for a warmer sound.

d
Check out my Review of the Blue Snowball USB Microphone Microphone. It Rocks!
Click here for info on the Zoom H2
Check out my Zoom H1 Review

Pantonal

Post by Pantonal » 30 Nov 2012, 12:48

Using EQ on reverb is never the best option, unless the EQ is built into the reverb algorithm itself, like in a hi spec hardware unit. Putting EQ on an impulse response unit like space designer, altiverb, waves IR etc... is like putting a bandaid on a problem, its better than nothing, but its not a great solution. A great reverb sound is an extremely complex thing, the resulting frequencies result from many different parameters and importantly, they change over time as the reverb builds and decays. All that is part of the quality of the reverb. If you slap an EQ on it, you are effectively destroying, or at least very much subduing the detail of the reverb. If your reverb (in this case an impulse response) is not high quality, then you may not miss the detail you loose by using EQ . However if you have a high quality impulse response (IR), the last thing you ever want to do is use EQ. If your IR is too toppy or metallic, use another IR that's warmer. You'll get much better quality reverb that way than rolling off the top with EQ.

The metallic quality of the original Space Designer IRs has been complained about a lot. I believe the new ones are better, though personally I don't use them. However, there are plenty of free and paid for (but inexpensive) IRs out there which are much, much better than any of the ones that come with Space Designer. Do some searches on "free IRs" and "best IR libraries" on the net. It really worth it. You can get state of the art IRs from the best reverb units in the world for Space Designer. I know SD has some IRs sampled form famous hardware units, but there are much better sampled versions of these out there. Great sounding IRs from the legends of reverb like, Quantec, Bricasti, and Lexicon all are available for Space Designer and some of these IRs sound world class. Why mess with the low quality ones that come with SD when there are so many great ones out there you can load in instead...

ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Post by ottoman42a » 04 Dec 2012, 12:56

I gave up and bought Altiverb instead. Thank you all for the suggestions!
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage