Reason as effects processor?

The place to talk about Reason, ReCycle and all related Propellerhead software & hardware
OID

Reason as effects processor?

Post by OID » 10 Feb 2008, 19:07

I'm almost positive this is impossible, but:

Can you Rewire Pro Tools (as the master) and Reason (as the slave) together, and use Reason as an audio effects processor, i.e. Input from Pro Tools goes into a Reason instrument and then the output of that goes back into Pro Tools?

I think this is impossible (because Reason can't handle Audio input in real time (can't record input)) but if anyone knows of a way to do it, I'd love to know.

Thanks
Mac OS X 10.4.9, Pro Tools 7.4, MBox 2 Mini, 2Ghz Macbook. stealthisfilm (dot) com

yitbos

Post by yitbos » 10 Feb 2008, 21:28

Not possible, since Reason doesn't have inputs, only outputs. As nice as it would be to use the vocoder in Reason in a ProTools session, it won't work.

OID

Post by OID » 11 Feb 2008, 05:20

I'll wait for some more answers.
Mac OS X 10.4.9, Pro Tools 7.4, MBox 2 Mini, 2Ghz Macbook. stealthisfilm (dot) com

Silverlode

Post by Silverlode » 11 Feb 2008, 08:46

No further answers will change the truth of what yitbos said. Reason accepts MIDI over ReWire from a host, but not audio. It sucks, as Reason could be a phenomenal effects rack for ReWired tracks and live inputs.

Why the Props left this out of version 4 confuses the hell out of me. I really hope they implement it soon, though. Until they do I will not upgrade from version 3.
y.t. Silverlode

TheBSide - Mucca Pazza - Maxel Toft

asaunders

Post by asaunders » 11 Feb 2008, 09:08

same here, i have little to no interest in Reason any more, but if they allowed an audio input, i'd buy the upgrade immediately. They lost me after version 2.5 because of this.
exposition of electro-vivisection

dead_red_eyes

Post by dead_red_eyes » 11 Feb 2008, 09:46

OID, you will have to mix down whatever track you want and import it using the NN-XT. I do that occasionally. It's a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, but it works.

Make sure that you match up the BPMs and the time signature!
Macbook Pro ('07)[15.4", 2.16Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.5.7] | Digital Performer 5.13 | Logic Pro 9.0.2 | Reason 4.0.1 | Various Soft-Synths | Alesis iO/26

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » 11 Feb 2008, 12:42

I also stopped using Reason because of the audio output thing.

And then the second reason was that it kept asking for the Orkester CD's at the most inopportune times.

And then the third reason was that the sequencer's horizontal track view felt kind of clunky to me.

And then the fourth reason is because I could never wrap my head around the Matrix device.
Live/Plogue/Numerology

OID

Post by OID » 13 Feb 2008, 20:27

Thanks for all the answers.
I didn't expect any miracle cure.

I'm going to screw with Max/MSP and figure out a way to do this then. If I find a miracle cure, then I'll let you guys know. Give me ten years.

Thanks!

Eli

azusa

Post by azusa » 13 Feb 2008, 23:08

Use a piece of audio that you intend to add any effects and make an NN-XT patch.
After that you can play along and use any effects in Reason.

Silverlode

Post by Silverlode » 15 Feb 2008, 08:17

azusa wrote:Use a piece of audio that you intend to add any effects and make an NN-XT patch.
We already know that. We're obviously talking about opening up Reason to a whole new paradigm in workflow.
y.t. Silverlode

TheBSide - Mucca Pazza - Maxel Toft

dead_red_eyes

Post by dead_red_eyes » 15 Feb 2008, 19:04

azusa wrote:Use a piece of audio that you intend to add any effects and make an NN-XT patch.
I wrote the same exact thing up above.

The.Same.Exact.Thing.
Macbook Pro ('07)[15.4", 2.16Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.5.7] | Digital Performer 5.13 | Logic Pro 9.0.2 | Reason 4.0.1 | Various Soft-Synths | Alesis iO/26

crackedpot

Re: Reason as effects processor?

Post by crackedpot » 23 Aug 2009, 22:30

There is a software called Hammer at petertools.com but the demo is an .exe.

Hammer is an audio input tool for Propellerhead's Reason. It finally lets you route ASIO audio inputs into Reason rack for live processing: just adding a reverb, doing cool voice vocoding or guitar distorsion.

What is Hammer?
Technically speaking, Hammer is a standard ReWire application.
It hooks to Reason via the ReBirth Input Machine device so that creating such a device results in creating an instance of Hammer Device. Then, connecting the Hammer Input Panel opens the selected ASIO input and routes its signal into Reason's rack.

If anyone gets this to work on a mac, let me know!

ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Re: Reason as effects processor?

Post by ottoman42a » 24 Aug 2009, 10:06

crackedpot wrote:There is a software called Hammer at petertools.com but the demo is an .exe.

Hammer is an audio input tool for Propellerhead's Reason. It finally lets you route ASIO audio inputs into Reason rack for live processing: just adding a reverb, doing cool voice vocoding or guitar distorsion.

What is Hammer?
Technically speaking, Hammer is a standard ReWire application.
It hooks to Reason via the ReBirth Input Machine device so that creating such a device results in creating an instance of Hammer Device. Then, connecting the Hammer Input Panel opens the selected ASIO input and routes its signal into Reason's rack.

If anyone gets this to work on a mac, let me know!
Since you probably work for Hammer you know this, but this app won't work on OSX its not designed to. OSX does not use ASIO drivers.
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage