Reason 5 & Record 1.5

The place to talk about Reason, ReCycle and all related Propellerhead software & hardware
sixnon

Re: Reason 5 & Record 1.5

Post by sixnon » 05 Sep 2010, 21:07

Whilst I have to concur about the wiring issue [mind you I thought it incredible at Reason 1.0!], and I thought the cutting off of upgrade path for Record owners without Reason upgrade was poorly handled, I must say that the workflow improvements, time stretch by clip, immediacy of the sampling into the various instruments, Kong et.al, and new sound banks make it a very attractive upgrade, especially if you are a few iterations of Reason back.

There's something about the workflow in Record that really suit's me. I'm not even sure yet what it is, but it's certainly what I reach for when I want to create despite owning Logic Pro. Added to the fact that bouncing or rewiring to Logic for further processing with Logic's plugs is pretty easy these days, makes me not concerned about starting a project in Record [with all the attendant Reason devices] and moving it sometime down the track.

Interesting 'tho, as in effect the recent thread here about Logic's environment is a similar complaint about the difficulty of wiring, I'd certainly like to see another window in Reason whereby a schematic along the lines of Reactor or Tassman could be viewed as the wiring tangle does get out of control with big racks..and specifically in relation to the Kong and Redrum wiring, in fact one needs two Redrums in order to sequence all of Kong's pads!

dauntless

Post by dauntless » 06 Sep 2010, 19:42

Yeah, sometimes wiring up stuff can be a real drag... (sorry about the pun). When I find myself setting stuff up over and over I tend to use a combinator and save the patch. That way its like one click.. BAM. instant _____.

I think the new sounds in R5 are pretty good. I haven't had much time to play with R5 because of work but in the next few weeks I'll have a tinker. So far so good I reckon.

d
Check out my Review of the Blue Snowball USB Microphone Microphone. It Rocks!
Click here for info on the Zoom H2
Check out my Zoom H1 Review

DHR
Site Supporter

Post by DHR » 07 Sep 2010, 13:28

I realy don't see why they added a new drum machine with no beat programmer? If anything I'd have liked to see the Redrum beat programmer expanded? Or an "easy setup" with Kong... Don't get me wrong, I had a LOT of mad scientist templates set up with various routings and 2 Redrums wired to mixers for instance... back in the version 2.0 days, before the combinator. But that was before I started using Logic. Now, it all seems so old school. Like, wiring combinators, racks, sequencers, send fx, arps, instead of actually creating some music is fun? Maybe I'm a little tired of "technology" but Logic is actually faster for me than Reason now, which is a little strange to say? :scratch:

I'd love to see Reason with a plug and go option, or well, actually I thought they were going in the right direction with Record? But still too much interface, modular, screen jumping, blah, blah, blah... I want to "love" Reason like I used to, but it's getting a little crazy. Would I buy Live or Reason/Record??? Or just keep using Logic... Not sure.

Besides I just got CS5. Now that's something I could waste some time with! 8)
Macbook, DAW, VIs, Guitars!

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 07 Sep 2010, 20:32

I just wish that the Reason/Record GUI wasn't so 'tangled'! Let's just forget the whole 'rack' thing and simply use each instrument/effect as a plug in. I must say it confuses me how things work and I thought that Reason/Record were 'straightforward' to use?

Saying that, I really want to get into using this combo for some serious work. The whole idea of getting a job done without minimum use of 3rd party apps or plug ins really appeals to me..... it forces you to work within the box. ":)
Imac i7 3.4 ghz 16GB RAM Logic Pro 9 Protools 10 Reason 7
MIDITEK MUSIC PRODUCTION, RECORDING & TUITION: Backing Tracks, Demos & Albums.

ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Post by ottoman42a » 07 Sep 2010, 22:21

Slovenec wrote: it forces you to work within the box. ":)
I think it depends how you define the box. ;)
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 08 Sep 2010, 18:05

ottoman42a wrote:
Sorry for the confusion and please let me clarify.... 'the box' means working with just these Reason and Record and not relying on any 3rd party plug ins.

Hope that clears things up :)

ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Post by ottoman42a » 08 Sep 2010, 20:35

Slovenec wrote:
ottoman42a wrote:
Sorry for the confusion and please let me clarify.... 'the box' means working with just these Reason and Record and not relying on any 3rd party plug ins.

Hope that clears things up :)
I hear you but it is an interesting point. I mean its so easy to just buy a plug and download it and use it. But If you set limits on the plugs like do I really need a different EQ? Or does the one that comes with so and so work better? Can be just as helpful. At least thats how I look at plugins rather than being limited by my DAW I just choose to replace what I find insufficient. And therefore do not have to rely on software to limit it for me. and can grow as I need too unlike the very walled garden of Reason/Record.
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

DHR
Site Supporter

Post by DHR » 11 Sep 2010, 07:44

Good point... I've always been surprised at the quality of Logic's included plugs to the point, I test everything against them... and if I say wow! I may have to buy it. Doesn't happen too much. My problem with Reason, is not the quality of the instruments, although the plugs are still lacking IMHO. It's more the continued addition of additional features which have to be wired, attached, routed, combinated... and that's not counting switching between windows to do said route-o-mania! I consider myself a "mad scientist" to some degree... but my wiring days are over :wavey:
Macbook, DAW, VIs, Guitars!

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 12 Sep 2010, 18:30

DHR wrote:Good point... I've always been surprised at the quality of Logic's included plugs to the point, I test everything against them... and if I say wow! I may have to buy it. Doesn't happen too much. My problem with Reason, is not the quality of the instruments, although the plugs are still lacking IMHO. It's more the continued addition of additional features which have to be wired, attached, routed, combinated... and that's not counting switching between windows to do said route-o-mania! I consider myself a "mad scientist" to some degree... but my wiring days are over :wavey:
Yep this is my whole point with the Propllerheads GUI.... all that cabling and routing etc etc etc.